Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What? Me busy during the holidays?! Never!



Sorry guys a lot has been happening is a very short amount of time. 
Weihnachtsmarkt in Bremen
First, I got to celebrate my first Nikolaustag! Nikolaustag is celebrated on the 6th of December and is traditionally for younger children. Usually the kids leave a shoe out and if they have been good that year they get candy, nuts, and a small present; if they haven’t then they get a lump of coal. Well on the 6th I woke up to find candy and a note taped to my door from one of my flat mates. I knew who it was because I was still awake then she taped the note and chocolate to my door, but what I wasn’t expecting was to see a big Santa sitting on our kitchen table for me, we all got one. Leonie, another flat mate, was trying to be secretive.. I knew what that day was, but I didn’t think that my flat mates would celebrate it with each other. After that I left for class like any other Thursday. In class my teacher went into even more details about Nikolaustag and other Christmas holiday traditions. That had to be one of the most entertaining classes to date. After class I headed back home to do some things like homework and read. And to my surprise I happen to see yet another Santa for me, again the others got one as well! I was in chocolate heaven and overload. I thanked my flat mates, but told them I didn’t have anything for them just yet, they have to wait for Christmas.

Concert time!
Sadly nothing else happened for almost a week, but then it just gets hectic. On Wednesday the 12 I did go to a concert, my first one here in Germany. I went with Cassandra, another American, to a Miss May I concert. It was really odd from the other concerts I have been to. Not a lot of people and at a bar. Let’s just say Cassandra and I had a grand ol’ time there. The atmosphere was awesome, the bands were super fantastic, and the beer was good. I remember all of it but how I got my jacket. The walk/ subway ride back to the hostel was interesting too. We both agreed that we have to do it again. Maybe leave earlier to explore the city and not have class the next day.
Homemade fluffy sugar cookies.
 On Thursday I went to a friend’s End-of-the-World party. The party was so much fun! Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, some a bit more than others. Sadly thought I ended up cleaning up after the party. The people who were supposed to clean were a little on the drunk side and since it was in the Backraum of big Pferdemarkt I felt like I should clean, Em was in bed not feeling the greatest. I even made sure that everyone got home safely and those who couldn’t go home stayed with me. As a thank you present Emily got me some delicious smelling soap from LUSH. Friday I helped bake for a Christmas party. All I saw for the rest of the night was cookies, cupcakes, and Glühwein. However, everyone loved my cookies and someone got my white elephant of cookies, I have to make them for her still. I wasn’t able to stay too long after the white elephant since I was just so exhausted. I don’t remember people coming in and out of my room to get there stuff really. I was out like a light!
 Saturday I was supposed to go to Hamburg, but I was just so exhausted that I couldn’t go. My mind just didn’t want to work. It took the 8 hours to translate 2 pages when it normally takes me 2 hours, but I needed that day of rest. I didn’t even get out of my pajamas!
The rest of the weekend and week were fairly mellow. Unless you count the fact that we are leaving on Thursday for Vienna, Dresden, and Prague! That’s right the next post will be filled with all sorts of adventures! 

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Frohe Weihnacht, and Happy New Year (if we don’t update until the new year)!!!!!!


Ash

No travel tips from me this time, besides have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment